It’s all about the numbers.

Gus Ariss drew my attention last week to a Tweet by Mark Clarke who had seen 37 Red Kites near Shipston and who wondered what was going on? I wondered too. The next day I was followed  on Twitter by Keith Jennings whose account had numerous references to a winter roost in north Gloucestershire. I had forgotten about winter roosts and the pieces now fell in to place. Had we an established winter roost in the south of the county? Or had the Gloucestershire roost recently moved north? Gus and I determined to take a look at the end of the week.

We met at Honington at midday. I periodically check that area, with Firecrest and Hawfinch in mind and having drawn a blank on my first post-invasion visit had finally found one of the latter on 11/01. Third time was lucky and I saw 14 on 23/01 when it became apparent they were feeding in Yews in the gardens which run along the western flank of the road to the church. The advantage to the number of birds present is that they are very active and vocal, presenting an excellent opportunity to commit the range of calls to memory and get used to seeing them at all sorts of ranges. That Friday afternoon we also discovered they were, along with c.60 Goldfinches, feeding in three incredibly tall London Plane trees at the churchyard boundary. Gus had quickly noticed the birds often flew west, in the direction of a strip of gallery woodland with an evergreen understorey full of Yew. We walked out of the village to check whether birds were commuting, Gus set up his scope and said quietly, ‘have a look in here’. A flock of Hawfinch were spread across the crowns of three Ash trees. Gus counted 19, I counted 20 and Gus resumed his place at the scope where he got a final count of 22, pretty good for Warwickshire, even this year.

Hawfinches, Honington. 

After a half-hour or so of trundling around in the general area for the kites we were driving along a narrow back-lane and discovered four siting in trees right next to the road.  There were ten in the immediate area and we knew we had found what we were looking for.

Red Kites at pre-roost gathering. 

Having checked that we were in a place consistent with the sightings (the Print brothers having seen a large flock too) we eventually began to see birds which had obviously come some distance, arriving at height on a purposeful track. the number we could see in the trees was not increasing though. Then I picked up two birds which overflew the area we were concentrating on and continued west. We followed them to a copse, Gus put his scope on the section of the wood the birds disappeared in to and found 11 birds in the canopy. We started our count with those and added every bird we saw fly in.

By dusk our tally was at exactly 60 when what Gus rather neatly describes as a ‘dread’ occurred. A crow flew in to the south side of the copse and a few kites moved, apparently in response. After a few minutes, what we took to be the entire roost got up and began milling around low over the tree tops. A precise count was impossible but we were fairly confident that 70-80 individuals were involved. This constitutes the highest tally for the West Midlands region, by a factor of 10 or more. It is, more significantly, a splendid afternoons birding, surrounded as you are by the glorious landscape of the Cotswolds.

Photo by Gus Ariss.

Gus and I have been wondering, why this particular copse? There are after all, woods everywhere in the Cotswolds. We completely forgot to ponder, why roost communally? The answer to the latter question may hint at the answer to the first. Red Kites are social raptors, there are few of them but their number also includes another group of scavengers, the vultures. It has been hypothesised that kites in a roost can see which individuals have fed well, as indicated by a bulging crop, allowing less fortunate birds to follow the corpulent ones back to the location of a carcass the next morning. This theory was not supported by radio tracking work in Spain however which did support another proposed explanation for winter roosts, that birds follow each other from them to forage together. The greater the number of birds searching, the greater the chance of success in finding food. Given the likelihood that a food source will provide amply for several birds or more there is no disadvantage to such cooperative behaviour. So perhaps the physical characteristics of the roost wood are not the key determining factor in its selection. Perhaps, that is simply the proximity of the wood to an expanse of optimal foraging ground.

Finally, in answer to speculation that this phenomenon may herald  a boom in the breeding population of Red Kites in Warwickshire, it appears probably not. The reason the species was reintroduced is that it has a really low dispersal rate naturally. I recently posted a photo of a first calendar-year bird taken nearby. What I didn’t know was that the first calendar year is about the only time a Red Kite wanders, after which it returns to the natal area to breed. Winter roosts are thus largely, though not exclusively, comprised of first calendar-year birds. Of the three in the photo included here, two belong to that age class. Keith Jennings has confirmed also that a significant number of birds from the Bourton roost appear to have gone.

I took this last photo at Long Compton some time ago, at a more amenable time of day.


Madagascar 2. The SW (Toliara and Nosy Ve).

SW Madagascar is arid and we began our exploration of it’s xerophytic habitats in the near-impenetrable Euphorbia scrub on the limestone plateau of La Table, in the Toliara region. A visit here is now mandatory on any Madagascan birding itinerary as it one of the few sites known for Red-shouldered Vanga, a species described as recently as 1997 though it was first collected in 1948. We arrived, having waited for the heat to abate a little, in the late afternoon and had a a bit of a job finding the most notable avian resident of the area. The scrub is too high to see over for the majority of time spent walking the tracks through it and the critical thing is to hear a bird singing or calling then zero in on it. It took us a while to hear one and some time to walk in through the spiky bush to a point where we could see it. Even then it was not sitting still to be admired, but there were a pair present and we all eventually had great views. The birds remained low down though and I failed to get an unobscured photo.

Red-shouldered Vanga, La Table. 

Other notable birds seen in the area included Verreaux’s Coua, Madagascar Lark, Madagascar Cisticola, Subdesert Brush Warbler and just as we left, good views of our first Madagascar Buttonquail which crossed the road in front of us quite rapidly but remained visible for a while as they made their way in to the brush.

Madagascar Lark, La Table. 

Early next morning we set off for the harbour to take a boat to the island of Nosy Ve. Few birds were encountered on the crossing, save for some Lesser-crested Terns, but once we got close enough to the islands Grey Plover, Bar-tailed Godwit, Whimbrel and Sanderling could be seen wandering the beaches. Unfortunately there were no Crab Plover present. The other main attraction on Nosy Ve is the presence of a large colony of Red-tailed Tropicbird and we spent a pleasant hour ashore with them before it was time to move on.

Red-tailed Tropicbird, Nosy Ve. 

Our return boat journey was punctuated by a stop at a beach front resort near the village of Anakoa to see Littoral Rock Thrush, which is endemic to the coastal SW and was quickly located without leaving the resort grounds.

Littoral Rock Thrush. 

Back at the harbour we were bundled on to small carts for the second time that morning and hauled across the mud by pitifully skinny Zebu cattle, I would far rather have walked.

Park Life 2018

I posted a blog last February titled Park Life as it concerned a pair of Whooper Swans that had appeared on Abbey Pool in Kenilworth and a Juv. Iceland Gull which had taken up residence on Swanhurst Pool in the Birmingham suburb of Moselely, both of which are located in parks. I took close up photos of the heads each Whooper Swan (as did Gus Ariss and John Judge) hoping that the Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust (WWT) ran a database, like that they have created for Bewick’s Swan, which would allow us to identify the individual birds and learn something of their movements. My on-line research indicated that such a database was not held for Whooper’s.

History has repeated itself to a remarkable degree. The Iceland Gull has returned to Swanhurst Park, along with a large gull also present there last winter and which caused considerable controversy regarding it’s identity. This gull was the subject of another blog which I recently reproduced as the debate ignited all over again.  A Whooper Swan was found by Chris Matthews on Abbey Pool four days ago and I immediately wondered if 1. it was one of last years birds returning? And 2. whether we could answer question 1 by obtaining photos and comparing the bill patterns? Gus Ariss visited Kenilworth on 01/01, obtained the necessary photos and contacted Julia Newth at WWT Slimbridge. It seemed to us both that the bird currently present could confidently be identified as one of last years visitors and Julia confirmed that, though the individual differences in bill patterns of Whooper Swans are more subtle than those of Bewick’s they can none-the-less be used and this was indeed a returning bird. Gus has prepared a comparative plate utilising photos I took last year and his own taken yesterday.

Images A and B are of the returning bird and image C is the other individual present in 2017. The circled area indicates an obvious individual marking. One difference that is apparent is in the amount of black immediately in front of the end point of the white feathering at the base of the bill. It seems likely this is due to relative regrowth following moult, the Handbook of Birds of the Western Palearctic (BWP) gives body moult as completed in December and the 2018 photo was taken a month earlier than that obtained in 2017.

Another thing I speculated about in last year’s blog was the origin of the Kenilworth swans, given their confiding nature. It occurred to me that this could easily be explained by the fact that large numbers of wild Whoopers are now fed at WWT reserves around the country, though I didn’t discuss the hypothesis. I did however refer to an observation made by John Oates that the species would take food on lakes in the Icelandic capital of Reykjavik. Julia confirmed both of these facts may explain the Kenilworth birds readiness to come to food and that in her opinion the birds were indeed wild. She also confirmed that increasing numbers of Whooper Swans now occur at Slimbridge. This accords with experience in Warwickshire where Bewick’s Swan has become increasingly rare, as the number wintering in the UK (and Slimbridge) has decreased but Whooper Swan occurs more regularly than it used to.

It is often said there is no such thing as a free lunch. It appears that for wild birds there sometimes is and it’s value is apparent from the the fact that they commit locations where it has previously been available to memory.

I have yet to return to Swanhurst Park but plan to do so and expand this blog, or create another follow up, soon.

Madagascar 1. Tsitongambarika (realm of the Red Owl).

I spent two months in Madagascar in 1999 as part of a team attempting to assess the effect of proximity to human habitation on the population densities of various diurnal lemur species in Sector 4 of the Zahamena National Park, which lies in the rainforest belt running along the eastern side of the country. Our survey site was at mid-altitude and though we were there in the austral winter and had no sound recording equipment we saw a good number of birds. Indeed when we compared our sightings to the list for the area, compiled from survey data collected by Frank Hawkins, we had succeeded in finding most of the birds we could have hoped to. I have wanted to return ever since and finally made it this November courtesy of a trip organised by Zack Weber and advertised on Bird Forum (whereby Adam Hudson and Steve Greenfield had joined). Ground arrangements and guiding were handled by Madagascar Tour Guide and the trip cost around 3000 Euros for what became a fairly extended itinerary.

Our very first birding excursion involved a 4.5 hour hike in to the edge of the Tsitongambarika Forest, the most significant tract of rainforest in the south-east. Our principal reason for this trek, which is seldom made by visiting birders, was the presence in the forest of Madagascar Red Owl. This species is a peculiar one. It went unrecorded between 1934 and 1973 and has generally only been seen by visiting birders who are taken to day roosts located during radio-tracking work undertaken by the Peregrine Fund in the NW of the country. It is classified as Vulnerable with a population estimated at around 10 000 in a range of some 52 200 km². I always thought of it as a rainforest bird and it has historically been regarded as  such, occurring in undisturbed growth between 800-1300 m. It does however have some facility to utilise degraded habitats and was recently discovered in dry forest in the far north. There was little light left by the time we had set up camp on day one and though we heard the Red Owl on our first attempt along the trails that night the first good bird seen was a Madagascar Scops Owl which came in right above the tents.

Tsitongambarika campsite.

The highly recommended Tsitongambarika Restaurant. 

Next morning we began birding in a clearing above the campsite from which, over the next two days, we ran up a list of vangas that included Tylas, Pollens, La Fresnaye’s, Red-tailed, Chabert’s, Hook-billed and the super attractive Nuthatch and Madagascar Blue. Other species recorded here included Madagascar Green Sunbird, Madagascar Cuckoo-shrike, Stripe-throated Jerry and Nelicourvi Weaver. Red-tailed Newtonia was calling but we couldn’t locate the bird so we dropped down to a fairly open area of forest close to camp. I took the view that having climbed all the way up the hill we wanted to make sure we saw those species we couldn’t encounter elsewhere and after some dedicated effort and a bit of trawling we eventually got good views of this species, which Zack subsequently saw pass right by his tent. There followed a long walk which yielded very little save for our first Long-billed Tetraka. After lunch I had just collapsed in my tent when I heard a magical name being spoken, Scaly Ground-roller. I headed in to the forest with my shoelaces flapping, desperately fighting the urge to simply run towards the source of the sound as fast as possible, for fear I may scare the bird off. I need not have worried for it was on territory and in no hurry in the mid-day heat and I cursed myself for not having brought my camera as the bird hopped up on to a log a short distance away. I went back with the camera later but the light had gone and it was Zack who secured the best results.

Scaly Ground-roller. Photo by Zack Weber. 

Scaly Ground-roller. 

The highlight of an afternoon walk was a Short-legged Ground-roller, the one species that we saw regularly in Zahamena but one I was more than pleased to see again after all those years.

Short-legged Ground-roller. Photo by Steve Greenfield. 

By that evening Zack had become ill but Steve, Adam and I made the second trek for the Red Owl. Steve and I had stopped for a break not far from where we heard the bird the previous evening and Steve decided he would not continue as a long-standing knee injury was causing him some trouble. I went on and soon became aware that something was happening ahead of me. What was happening was that an owl had swooped right over Adam’s head in the dark. We settled down, turned off all our torches and urged the guide to use playback sparingly. It is both ethical and effective to use playback economically and best with night birds to wait until you think the bird has come in before commencing the search by torch. The bird called back then went quiet, Adam waited, turned on the torch and rapidly located the bird perched on the other side of a slightly open area adjacent to the trail. A radio tagged bird on a day roost would afford better views but I was delirious to have seen one at all, especially after all the effort it took. I will hold my hands up here in that I thought it was a hopeless task. The guides however, reckon they can find the owl regularly.

Returning to camp we discovered Zack was seriously ill but after long discussion it was decided that with just 5 hours or so till daybreak the porters would not attempt to carry him out in the dark. Heroically he walked out the following morning, a task which damn near finished me!  He did not even miss out that badly bird-wise as he was booked on to an extension for the Red Owl and the Serpent Eagle. Blue Couas around the campsite and a Red-fronted Coua on the walk down were the stand-out birds of the final morning.

The forest is marvelous, surveys there have recorded most of the country’s rainforest birds and the presence of the Red Owl and Red-tailed Newtonia are testament to the quality of the habitat. Numerous discoveries have been made among the plants and herptiles occurring in the area and may yet be made among it’s birds as the higher elevations remain unsurveyed. Until recently the forest had no conservation designation but an application has been put forward to accord it Protected Area status. It cannot be granted too soon, there has been total clearance of the lower slopes on the walk up and we witnessed selective logging going on inside the forest throughout our 2.5 day visit. We were told that timber was being taken for house building but that seems unlikely given the amount of felling activity occurring. An explosion of illegal logging, fuelled by demand for Rosewood from China took place in Madagascar following the 2009 coup and we were also told that the problem is far from over.

Red-tailed Newtonia habitat in Tsitongambarika Forest, close to our campsite.

A forested ridge at Tsitongambarika, of the type utilised by Madagascar Red Owl. 

Pristine lower slopes, Tsitongambarika Forest.

Cleared lower slopes, Tsitongambarika Forest.

The Green-winged Teal x Eurasian Teal hybrid at Draycote Water.

I arrived to do the Draycote Water roost this afternoon and stopped off briefly at the overflow as the precious few gulls already in had collected off there. They were mostly head on but before I moved round to the inlet I had a quick look through the ducks between the overflow and Rainbow Corner. I soon noticed a drake Common Teal with a vertical white stripe running down the breast side. I called up John Judge, who was already at Draycote and resumed looking at the bird. There was a pale line running along the lower scapulars but it appeared grey.

Green-winged Teal x Eurasian Teal hybrid, Draycote Water.

Once John had arrived we moved closer to the bird and discovered that the line along the lower scapulars appeared grey because the upper scapulars were overlaying it to some extent and it’s appearance altered with posture, clearly white when exposed.

Green-winged Teal x Eurasian Teal hybrid, Draycote Water.

This, combined with the weakness of the white line along the breast sides was a serious cause for concern so John put up a Tweet asking for opinions as to whether the bird was a hybrid. A little while later we looked up some images of hybrids which pretty much settled it when we received a message from Bob Hazell who also thought it a hybrid and a reply to the Tweet from Andy Mackay who confirmed that a pure Green-winged Teal should not show any white in the lower scapulars. In addition John had noticed that the yellow border to the green face patch was rather broad along its upper edge, consistent with Eurasian Teal.

Green-winged Teal x Eurasian Teal hybrid. Photo by Theo de Clermont.

The British Ornithological Union (BOU) will adopt the taxonomic treatment currently followed by the International Ornithological Congress (IOC) as of midnight tonight. The IOC treat Eurasian and Green-winged Teal as a subspecies group (under the common name Common Teal), that is a unit comprising subspecies which are currently lumped but for which there is significant evidence that species specific treatment may be merited.

The 2nd W  Iceland Gull was in the roost for it’s second night. This is the third Iceland Gull of the early winter period, following a Juv. on 28/12 and an Ad. on 16/12. The first Glaucous Gull of the winter was a Juv. 08/12 on which had spent the day at Shawell and was thought to be the bird that had been roosting at Chasewater (to which it I believe it returned the next day). The only other was an Ad. which remains the only white-winger this winter to arrive early, on the afternoon of 23/12.

Ad. Glaucous Gull, Draycote Water. 

Two Hawfinches, one paler than the other and with less black around the bill base but no obvious pale secondary panel, are still using the car park and birds have also been recorded flying over Rainbow Corner in the evenings.

Hawfinch, Draycote Water. 

The Swanhurst Park Yellow-legged Gull revisited

This was one of a number of posts I deleted earlier in the year to create space on the site but have I recreated it in light of the continued discussion regarding the bird currently present in Swanhurst Park, which is considered to be the same individual returning. It was originally suggested this bird may be a Caspian Gull. The counter arguments, summarised in this post, I think, pretty much put paid to that diagnosis but it was subsequently suggested that it may be a Yellow-legged Gull x Caspian Gull hybrid. I was of the opinion that there was nothing anomalous about it and thus no need to invoke a hybrid hypothesis. I have to confess that if the bird currently present is the same individual, then the grey tone does look a little pale in some photos but this may result from camera settings and light conditions when the photos were taken. In one set of images the grey tone appears darker in one shot than it does in the other two. I have yet to go back and see it for myself but here is the post from February.

As is often the case when one good bird is found, the resultant twitch yields another. In this instance it was a 1st W large gull which divided opinion between Caspian and Yellow-legged Gull. I discuss the bird here simply because the site offers the opportunity but recognise that most of the points raised have been made by other observers (including Donna Mallon and Dave Hutton who have kindly allowed me to use their images). The bird was a 1st W but had begun its moult in to 1st S, which is essentially the start of the progression to 2nd W plumage. This is evidenced by the replaced inner greater primary coverts which are well illustrated in the photo below. I have reproduced this shot, despite its poor quality, as it is the only one I have available to illustrate the upper tail. The solid black tail band was narrower than that often shown by Caspian Gull, had a neat, clean cut upper border lacking the vermiculations above it that are frequently shown by that species and the white outer web to the outermost tail feather was unbarred which is typical of Yellow-legged Gull. The heavy dark markings in the upper tail coverts may be within the range of variation for Caspian Gull (I am unsure) but would be unusual so late in the season, and were heavier than those exhibited by many Yellow-legged Gulls.

1st W Yellow-legged Gull, Sutton Park. 

This photo of a Juv. Yellow-legged Gull illustrates the typical tail pattern though the tail band is a little fuller and the outermost tail feather shows even more extensive white than that of the Swanhurst bird whilst the uppertail coverts are more sparsely marked.

Juv. Yellow-legged Gull, Draycote Water. Photo by Dave Hutton. 

The solid, dense, barred markings on the undertail coverts are particularly well illustrated in the next photo. These are again typical for Yellow-legged Gull but would be at the least unusual for Caspian Gull which generally has neat arrowhead markings. The retained greater coverts showed distinct transverse bars which are typical of Yellow-legged Gull and would again be, at the very least unusual, for Caspian Gull. Many of the second generation scapulars had broad dark transverse bars in the centres typical of Yellow-legged Gull. Those of Caspian Gull would generally be grey with narrow dark shaft streaks and sub-terminal spots or narrow anchor markings.

1st W Yellow-legged Gull, Sutton Park. Photo by Donna Mallon. 

Extensive brown feathering on the head and body is also evident here and would again be unusual in a Caspian Gull so late in the season. Classically, Caspian Gull will show fairly clean head and body plumage with a neat shawl of dark streaks at the base of the neck by this time of year. Though the extent of brown on the underwing coverts was within the range of variation shown by both species it would more likely be shown by Yellow-legged Gull in mid February.

1st W Yellow-legged Gull, Sutton Park. Photo by Donna Mallon. 

Whilst the bill may or may not have been within the range of variation shown by Caspian Gull (I am unsure) it certainly lacked the classically described profile of being long and parallel sided and whereas it was somewhat narrow compared to that of many Yellow-legged Gulls the profile was typical of that species with a distinctly hooked pale tip and a lower mandible which narrowed before the gonys resulting in a fairly sharp gonyedal angle. This photo of a 2nd W Yellow-legged Gull illustrates the bill profile in question.

2nd W Yellow-legged Gull, Draycote Water. 

The Swanhurst bird did have comparatively long legs but as the previous photo illustrates they are again typical of Yellow-legged Gull.

1st W Yellow-legged Gull, Sutton Park. Photo by John Judge. 

Some notes on Juv. Kumlien’s Gull.

Whilst birding at the Draycote Water roost on 13/01/15 John Judge found a Juvenile ‘Iceland Gull’ in the centre of the reservoir which was extremely fresh and unworn in appearance and had brown centres to the primaries with pale fringes. We only saw it fly once for a distance of about five metres and were unable to confirm any details of the spread wing or tail.  I spent most of the next week trying to confirm its identity but only saw it twice in the very last of the light, though I managed to get Martin Elliott on to it the second time and he too was impressed by its appearance which he memorably described as resembling ‘a loaf of Hovis’. At the end of the week I saw it very close in, again in appalling light but close enough to see that two of its inner primaries were held slightly drooped and that they were contrastingly pale. I reported it as a confirmed Kumlien’s Gull that night but was relieved when Dan Watson discovered its daytime haunt at Weston-under-Wetherley Landfill where it remained until 24/01. The photograph below is underexposed and was taken in to the bright sunlight but I have not altered the light levels. It does illustrate the large size and stocky build often exhibited by kumlieni in comparison to nominate glaucoides. Though the dark colouration is lost in this image the fresh appearance is discernible, the neat dark centres to the scapulars and coverts and the lack of contrast between the primaries and the rest of the upperparts are apparent despite the over exposure.

Juv. Kumlien’s Gull, Weston-under-Wetherley Landfill. 

To confirm a Juvenile Kumlien’s Gull it is generally necessary to see the bird in flight and check the pattern of the primaries and tail. The outermost primaries should show dark outer webs which contrast with the uniformly paler inner primaries forming a ‘window’. Worn glaucoides will have uniformly pale primaries and fresher birds will not show the pale ‘window’, indeed they often show an inverse pattern with the inner primaries darker than the outers. Kumlien’s Gull will typically show a darker secondary bar and rather solid tail band compared to nominate glaucoides. Though taken at extreme range the following photos nonetheless illustrate the above mentioned features.

Juv. Kumlien’s Gull, Weston-under-Wetherley Landfill. 

Juv. Kumlien’s Gull, Weston-under-Wetherley Landfill. 

Juv. Kumlien’s Gull, Weston-under-Wetherley Landfill. 

This individual seems to have been a dark one, towards the Thayer’s end of the spectrum. Arctic gulls have low levels of dark pigmentation in their plumage which bleaches in sunlight and abrades quickly so the majority are faded by the time they reach the UK. The Iceland Gull in the photos below is a very pale individual photographed in mid-February.

Juv Iceland Gull, Moseley. 

Juv Iceland Gull, Moseley. 

Fresher, darker individuals do however occur. The bird in the following photos occurred at the same site as the Kumlien’s Gull detailed above on 14/01/17. The dark body plumage and dark centres to the scapulars and coverts were reminiscent of the 2015 Kumlien’s but the brown centres of the primaries were paler and recalled another kumlieni which occurred at Draycote Water in 2008 in having tiny dark subterminal arrowhead markings. Structurally it was more typical of glaucoides and when it flew off, after the briefest of pauses, no contrast was visible in the primaries, secondaries or the tail. The last photo however seems to show the ‘inverse Kumlien’s’ pattern referred to earlier, with the inners very slightly darker.

Juv. Iceland Gull, Bubbenhall Lagoons (photo by Dan Watson). 

Juv. Iceland Gull, Bubbenhall Lagoons. 

Razorbill ii, the final chapter.

I spent today doing all the things I should have been doing yesterday, before, courtesy of Richard Mays and Dave Cox, the Razorbill stopped play. Early afternoon I was stocking up on lens cloths at Focus Optics when I received a call from Mark Baynes to tell me that he and Robert Warner-Pask had just found the corpse in Biggin Bay. It appears the life just ebbed out of it, for it looks in death much as it did on the final day of its life. Rigor having set in, it appears to have floated round the reservoir like a tragic rubber duck for some considerable time. Apparently Rob was adamant it was a dead parrot but Mark half-expected to find on closer inspection that it had not yet quite gorn orf to meet its maker. A fisherman reported that it floated past him from the west and who knows what people might have made of it had they seen it from the far side, a distance of getting on for 2 km.

It was unsurprisingly easy to feel the birds keel and I imagine it was underweight and probably starved to death.  It also seems likely that it was beyond recovery when it arrived. Steve Haynes, the current county recorder, has tracked down two records dated pre 1904, both of which were ‘taken for preservation’ (The Birds of Warwickshire by CA.Norris refers to one at Harborne 25/07/1890 per John Judge). Both John and Mark posed the question ‘would anyone want the corpse?’. The old school natural historian in me felt that it should go to Warwick Museum so I called a friend at the ecology deptartment in the council and got a number for Jon Radley. Mark spoke to him and though he is a geologist he immediately got it and agreed that the museum should try to acquire the bird, though the remaining hurdle is for them to find the funds to pay for the taxidermy. Meanwhile poor old Mrs B has a Razorbill in the freezer.

Photo by Mark Baynes

The Draycote stealth hurricane.

I leave for Madagascar on Saturday and finished the bulk of my writing commitments early this month so as to buy myself a little time which I then threw away searching for Hawfinches. I am thus ill-prepared and increasingly nervous about the forthcoming trip. I spent yesterday editing some work and today was lined for trip preparation, which would be executed with military precision. That was until John Judge rang up as I finished my breakfast with the news that a Razorbill had been found at Draycote.

Razorbill, Draycote Water.

I am not entirely sure of the status of Razorbill in Warwickshire but it is apparently the first West Midlands regional record since 1953. The bill shows it to be an adult bird and it appeared not to be in too bad condition, diving repeatedly, though it was not seen with any fish whilst I was there. It was windy last night but  I wouldn’t have thought it all that strong a blow, which made this occurrence all the more remarkable. As was what happened next. Nobody went beyond the Razorbill, which was ranging just a couple of hundred metres or so, with the result that nobody had seen a Grey Phalarope between Farborough Spit and Toft, leaving it to be found by a regular who takes a keen interest but is not really a birder as such.

Grey Phalarope, Draycote Water.

Grey Phalarope, Draycote Water.

Meanwhile, John Barnett, who you may remember from my last post, was back on Napton Hill and finding a ringtail Hen Harrier which circled low over the same grassy area next to the church where we saw the Hawfinches last week before drifting W. Apparently the Razorbill was still present at 16.00 but heading towards Farborough Spit!

In an invasion, run for the hills.

I don’t remember the year but I remember the rest of the date, 25/09. I was guiding on the old ferry which used to run from Pylmouth to Santander and just a few hours out from the Spanish port on the return leg I picked up a passerine, a long way off but flying towards us at a reasonable height. Flying straight at us there was precious little to indicate its identity but a little while before it reached our bow the game was finally up, Hawfinch!  It carried on over the bridge leaving me somewhat shocked. For one thing I thought of the species as a late migrant, typically occurring on passage in the UK from mid-October to early-November. On the continent however they can begin wandering from late August and the peak migration period is from mid-September to early-November. For another thing I knew nothing of Hawfinch movements really and had assumed the small number of migrants occurring in the UK in autumn were overshoots of some kind. In a way they are. European populations of Hawfinch exhibit varying levels of migratory behaviour, some are sedentary, some move locally and some are partial-migrants. The principal wintering area for birds breeding in the Netherlands, Germany, the Czech Republic and Poland is NE Spain, SE France, N and C Italy, with smaller numbers on some Mediterranean islands. There is evidence from ringing recoveries that wintering site fidelity is low, which, combined with the fact that numbers vary from year to year, suggests movements are often linked to food availability. For example, in years when the crop in S Sweden has been poor Hawfinch numbers in Finland, Denmark and Switzerland have been high. Presumably the small number of Hawfinches that turn up on Scilly every autumn and the lone bird we saw steadily beating its way across the Bay of Biscay represent the westernmost flank of a passage of birds that should really be heading S on the other side of the North Sea.

In Warwickshire the species is not known to breed and is, essentially, fantastically rare. Along with most people I first got to see it in the county when a small group turned up in the car park at Draycote Water during the last influx and magically hung around for several weeks. I saw just one other locally, prior to the current invasion. Leaving my car at Napton-on-the-Hill  to begin a visible migration watch on 14/10/09 I slammed the door shut flushing a Hawfinch out of the tall deciduous trees along the N boundary of the churchyard. I first began to wonder if something might be going on this autumn when one was ringed at Portland at the beginning of October, by which time birds were already on Scilly. It soon became clear this was more than a small flurry of arrivals, but busy and still fighting a chest infection I twice set my alarm for visible migration watches only to jib out and go back to sleep. I finally forced myself to the Meon Hill area on ‘the day the world stood still’, otherwise known as 16/10, when the strong SW winds that constituted the death throes of Hurricane Ophelia whipped a cloud of Saharan dust across the country with a variety of profoundly weird consequences. Passage was good with pulses of Common Starlings due W along the Cotswold Scarp totalling 550 in three hours and a steady stream of Chaffinches crossing the adjacent plain and climbing the gulley to the W of Colemans Hill, perhaps to get some wind underneath them and gain some lift? After a couple of hours I picked up two short-tailed, front-end heavy finches the identity of which was quickly confirmed as Hawfinch when they passed on my side of the gulley and continued towards Hidcote. I was particularly pleased to see some here, along the flight line Eric Simms first identified in the 1940’s. Two days later l tried Napton-on-the-Hill, a singleton having been seen in the churchyard on 08/10 and two landing briefly there on 17/10. At dawn there were hardly any birds present and I was surprised to discover newly arrived thrushes when I returned towards mid-morning. A funeral was being held so I dropped down in to the Leam Valley finding 3 Common Stonechats in the field margins N of Lower Shuckburgh. Around 14.45 and back in the churchyard I set about checking the Yew trees. On my fourth lap around one of them there were two explosive, ‘Tzick’ notes from the other side of the tree. Typically made by Hawfinch when taking off, especially when spooked, this call has been described, quite splendidly in my opinion, as resembling the sound made by an ice pick glancing off hard rock. I could not find the culprit and the next day I determined not to repeat the performance but to do a proper visible migration watch off the N side of the hill. This was less than successful and I packed it up after an hour or so but could not resist one last look in the churchyard where John Barnett was in residence. I had not seen John for years and after a half-hour of chatting the cloud base lifted a little and birds started passing over the church. Whilst Chris Matthews stayed put, John and I decided to head back to the slope and crossing the grass area N of the church we didn’t have to look up far to find the Hawfinches whose continuous contact calls had just become audible  as they broke the treeline to the NE and flew towards us. There were seven in the group and they made straight for a tall tree on the E side of the churchyard, only to fool around in the air above it with just one landing briefly before the entire group dropped out of sight towards the village. A single bird then flew back N across the hill a minute or so later. We saw no more that day and the following day was again bittersweet when a group of three followed the same line towards the same tree just as Theo de Clermont was driving over the crown of the hill, but again failed to settle. There were none on 22/10 and I couldn’t get out on 23/10 but Steve Haynes saw 14 at Hartshill Hayes that day and a further seven were recorded at Fillongley. These and eight at Sutton Park were all single groups, mirroring the Napton sightings in that extended watches yielded just one flock, unlike some sites, particularly those in the Chilterns where there have been multiple sightings in a day. The passage of migrants along the Chilterns seems to exceed that along the Cotswolds and I get the impression that these hills have witnessed the strongest movement of Hawfinches in the entire country over the last two weeks or so.

The current theory is that the storm edges that clipped us, whirling through in an anti-clockwise direction, pushed Hawfinches out of central Europe. This seems likely, though food availability may have influenced the numbers involved. I have no idea what, if any, hypothesis was forwarded for the last invasion. I recall being told that birds trapped on Lundy had very long primaries, suggesting an eastern origin. One thing I do know is that these two are the only big Hawfinch invasions I can remember (though I’m damned if I can remember what year the other one occurred) in the last 37 years.